Sunday, July 15, 2007

Amazed by what?

"AMAZED" by Lincoln Brewster

You dance over me while I am unaware
You sing all around but I never hear the sound

Lord I'm amazed by You
Lord I'm amazed by You
Lord I'm amazed by You
And how You love me

You paint the morning sky with miracles in mind
My hope will always stand
For You hold me in Your hand

How deep, how wide
How great is Your love for me

This song was sung today during our church service. It is a catchy tune, but I find it quite contradictory, at least in the first verse: how can one be amazed if they can't see one dancing or hear one singing? I don't mean any disrespect to Mr. Brewster, but seriously it makes no sense. It seems to me that our "evangelical" worship music has become too watered down. We are too focused on bringing people into the church with our upbeat tempos and guitars that we've forgotten the deep meaningful lyrics. It reminds me of the old commercial with the geriatric lady when she says, "Where's the beef?" There is none!

I don't think we're loving God with our music as He has commanded us: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind" (Matt 22:37). Where's the mind in today's contemporary worship music? Has it gone out to pasture? The point is we need to start focusing on what we say and less on how we say it. The heart and soul are present, so let's bring back the mind and actually think about who we're praising, worshipping, discribing, loving, lifting up, blessing, etc.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I keep listening to the news speak about getting free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the best site to get one.